The social, environmental and economic aspects in the short and long term are weighed up whenever strategic decisions are taken. The BAM Business Principles, or core values, are derived from the strategic agenda and form the basis for managing the Group's corporate social responsibility.
The business principles are defined on the basis of public interest in dialogue with stakeholders, and based on BAM's impact on these issues. The principles are reviewed annually during a stakeholders' meeting. In 2010, the stakeholders indicated that they felt further clarification of the current principles was important. There was also a need to focus more explicitly on BAM's responsibilities as regards its supply chain partners and its vision as to how sustainability and economic growth can go hand in hand. The business principles have been adjusted accordingly.
We build the facilities society needs, such as housing, hospitals, schools, retail areas, leisure and industrial facilities, transport facilities, utilities and infrastructure. When we create this built environment, we also have a responsibility to keep our impact on society and the natural environment to a minimum.
Royal BAM Group works closely with its employees, clients, suppliers and subcontractors on all aspects of corporate social responsibility. We seek to achieve a balance between the short and the long term interests, and to make economic, environmental and social considerations an integral part of our strategic decision-making. We aim for open dialogue with the parties that will be affected by our activities and we communicate in a timely and effective way with our external partners.
BAM is committed to being a responsible company. This means that we conduct our activities in accordance with the applicable ethical, professional and legal standards. We consider corruption, bribery and unfair competition to be unacceptable.
Offer added value to clients, employees, business partners and the community.
- Clients: We always do our utmost to exceed the client’s expectations.
We work in partnership with our clients to deliver high-end projects within the timescale set, both safely and with respect for the environment. We will encourage our clients to work with us in developing suitable sustainable solutions. We aim to be the preferred supplier for CO2-neutral solutions.
- The community: We promote good contacts with the local community.
By its very nature, our construction and renovation work has an impact on the local community, occupiers and other users of buildings and infrastructure, and society as a whole. We are therefore proactive in minimising the level of nuisance in the local environment and seek to make a positive contribution to the local community.
- Employees: We believe in our employees.
We create a safe and inspiring environment for our employees to develop their skills, enabling them in turn to contribute to the further development and growth of our organisation. The commitment to our employees is demonstrated by:
- Health and safety – We consider health and safety to be a top priority for our company. We are committed to the continual improvement of our performance in health and safety for all our employees and subcontractors and everyone involved with our activities, including the general public.
- Equality and diversity – We offer a challenging working environment where everyone feels valued and respected. We are committed to the principle of equal opportunities and we ensure that job applicants and employees do not face discrimination on the grounds of gender, marital status, race, skin colour, ethnic origin, religious belief, sexual orientation, disability or age.
- Learning and development – We aim to create a learning culture and provide opportunities for our employees to fully apply their knowledge and skills in the service of the company. We will help our employees to continue their development in the interests of the company and its objectives.
- Supply chain partners: We procure responsibly.
We treat our supply chain partners honestly and responsibly. We work with subcontractors and suppliers to ensure that they operate in a safe and environmentally-conscious way. Together with our preferred partners, we promote and develop sustainable solutions and best practice for the sector.
We recognise our responsibility to future generations
- Energy: We strive to reduce our impact on climate change.
We will improve our energy efficiency, reduce our CO2 emissions and work with our clients to develop CO2-neutral solutions.
- Raw materials: We are becoming more efficient in our use of materials.
We believe in reducing our impact on the supply of natural raw materials used in our products. We will work with our clients and suppliers to use alternative materials and methods in order to optimise the use of raw materials. We also promote measures to recycle and restrict waste.
- Environment: We will limit our environmental impact.
We take all possible reasonable measures to ensure that our activities are conducted in a way that minimises the impact on the local environment. We promote environmentally-friendly operations and seek opportunities to promote biodiversity on our construction sites.
Creating economic value
- Innovation: We innovate to identify balanced sustainable solutions.
Innovation is essential for our company's development and to identify powerful sustainable solutions in the built environment. Together with our partners in the supply chain from customers to subcontractors and suppliers, we will provide sustainable solutions in which economic, environmental and community interests are well balanced. This approach ensures that we use materials efficiently and provide good value to our customers.
- Prosperity: We believe that sustainability results in economic value.
We choose to create value by working on effective and profitable solutions for our shareholders that contribute to a sustainable future.
We believe that by applying these Business Principles, we create value for our shareholders, clients, employees and for society as a whole.