Supporting an inclusive and diverse construction sector, BAM Nuttall achieves Disability Confident Employer, Level 2
Camberley, 18 June 2021 - BAM Nuttall has been accredited Level 2 of the Government’s Disability Confident Scheme, recognising a sustained commitment to creating environments for disabled people, and people with health conditions, to fulfil their potential and achieve their aspirations.
BAM Nuttall’s Social Impact and Inclusion Centre of Expertise and four employee-led people networks, including WISE@BAM, Proud@BAM, ME@BAM and Ability@BAM, support and shape the company’s diversity and inclusion (D&I) strategy and initiatives. Colleagues joining networks, as a member or an ally, help support business goals to create a fair and inclusive place to work.
David McGowan, Business Excellence Officer and Board Sponsor of Ability@BAM: ‘Greater diversity in our business creates positive outcomes, and this achievement recognises our collective commitment and action to make BAM an accessible, supportive place for everyone. Our Ability@BAM network deserves congratulations for their efforts to raise colleagues’ awareness of challenges they and others face, helping us all stop and think about how we can be more inclusive. We’ll continue to collaborate widely to achieve our goals for recruiting, retaining and developing all our people. And provide accessible and supportive places to work, where everyone has the same level of opportunity to achieve their potential at BAM.’
An achievement built on collaboration Committing to the Disability Confident Framework in 2018, along with many partners and clients, has strengthened collaboration and helped BAM Nuttall focus on improving equality and increasing diversity and inclusion. Developing goals as part of BAM’s future strategy, our Centre of Expertise works in collaboration with our people networks and leaders to embed change in business and project operating plans.
BAM Nuttall collaborates with industry and inclusion experts, including Building Equality and Mencap, exchanging knowledge and learning how to become more diverse and inclusive employers. Business policies and practices are regularly reviewed and improved, removing any barriers that currently exist and accelerating and sustaining change across the business and the construction industry.
BAM Nuttall disability confident activities include:
- Establishing Social Impact and Inclusion Centre of Expertise and Ability@BAM people network;
- Working with expert organisations i.e. Mencap, offering internship placements with candidates leading to secure permanent employment;
- Partnering with Ingeus to advertise vacancies and career opportunities through specialised recruiters; badging recruitment materials with Disability Confident logo;
- Introducing flexible working approach, and guidance for individual’s, managers and teams to improve inclusivity;
- Influencing and supporting our suppliers, partners and clients to be Disability Confident; collaborating with joint venture partners for Silvertown, Transpenine Route Upgrade West and Great Yarmouth Crossing projects, to achieve Level 2 in 2021;
- Developing a Digital Inclusion Policy for employees • Reviewing employee adjustments process and how support is provided to improve the experience for people involved.
BAM Nuttall’s work with clients TfL and Network Rail to provide a more inclusive transport network including Step Free Access projects across London and design and deliver accessible stations across the county’s rail network, cement our commitment to inclusivity in all we do.
BAM Nuttall is a Level 2 Disability Confident Employer until June 2024 and is already working to achieve Disability Confident Leader, with our HS2 EKFB JV trailblazing the way, following Level 3 accreditation in 2020.
• BAM Nuttall will hold Level 2 Disability Confident Employer status June 2021 - June 2024.
About BAM Nuttall
BAM Nuttall, along with BAM Construct UK and BAM PPP in the UK, is part of Royal BAM Group. BAM delivers exceptional engineering, design, construction, property management, and investment services. The Group turnover is £7billion annually, listed on Euronext, Amsterdam. BAM Nuttall, employing approximately 3,000 people, has a worldwide reputation for collaborating with clients, creating sustainable environments that enhance people's lives. Our projects span the UK, and we’re involved in overseas partnerships including Africa, Australia and Antarctica. BAM people capitalise their knowledge, across multiple sectors including rail, road, marine, tunnelling, highways, energy and water utilities and ground engineering - using state-of-the-art resources and digital technologies to provide innovative solutions.
Further information: Abigail Rowland, Head of Communications, firstname.lastname@example.org.